- This value causes an element to generate a block box.
- This value causes an element to generate a block box, which itself is flowed as a single inline box, similar to a replaced element. The inside of an inline-block is formatted as a block box, and the element itself is formatted as an inline replaced element.
- This value causes an element to generate one or more inline boxes.
- This value causes an element (e.g., LI in HTML) to generate a principal block box and a list-item inline box. For information about lists and examples of list formatting, please consult the section on lists.
- This value causes an element to not appear in the formatting structure (i.e., in visual media the element generates no boxes and has no effect on layout). Descendant elements do not generate any boxes either; the element and its content are removed from the formatting structure entirely. This behavior cannot be overridden by setting the 'display' property on the descendants.
- Please note that a display of 'none' does not create an invisible box; it creates no box at all. CSS includes mechanisms that enable an element to generate boxes in the formatting structure that affect formatting but are not visible themselves. Please consult the section on visibility for details.
- This value creates either block or inline boxes, depending on context. Properties apply to run-in boxes based on their final status (inline-level or block-level).
- table, inline-table, table-row-group, table-column, table-column-group, table-header-group, table-footer-group, table-row, table-cell, and table-caption
- These values cause an element to behave like a table element (subject to restrictions described in the chapter on tables).
The boxes do not shrinkwrap as they do with 'inline' or 'inline-block' and the explicit width is ignored. They share the same width based on the box that has the most content.
Also note that, unlike with 'inline' or 'inline-block', there is no whitespace between them.
IE 6 and 7 do not support
display:table-cell, make sure to include
table-row as well or some browsers may - sometimes - drop the last "cell".